06 May 2008

Another recent adventure... 10 minutes ago in fact.


Hi,


A sweet-tooth that i am, a meal without desserts to top everything off is never quite satisfying. So tonight, after I finished my home-cooked pasta with string beans and chicken franks (now that sounds very home-cooked), I dashed like a mofo right to, well, ABP in hopes of finding sugary buttery goodies. Too bad they don't make palmier cookies anymore, because that's by far my favourite ABP snack.

Fortunately, tonight ABP debuted Monkey Bread. I didn't even know it was a monkey bread. well, with my non-American/Western upbringing i had never heard of "monkey bread" before in my life. To be honest, I'm not particularly about this hazelnut monkey bread, because I think the bread is a little too dry and flaky. But the thickened caramel kind of does the trick nonetheless. So i decided to look this up on Wikipedia a moment ago and this is what i found:

"Monkey Bread, also called Hungarian coffee cake and bubbleloaf, is a sticky, gooey pastry served as a breakfast treat. Recipes for the towering bread first appeared in American women's magazines and community cookbooks in the 1950s. It is made with pieces of sweet yeast dough which are baked in a cake pan at high heat after first being individually covered in melted butter, cinnamon, sugar and chopped pecans. It is traditionally served hot so that the baked segments can be easily torn away with the fingers and eaten by hand."

ps: The picture below comes from www.nancy-kitchen.com,
which looks very different from what i just had.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.