11 June 2008

On vodka

In Sex and the City, after finding out that her boyfriend will not show up at their own wedding (held at the New York public library), a devastated Carrie Bradshaw returns to her apartment with her girlfriends who later hang around to console and keep her company. In a span of 5 seconds, I remember spotting one of the girls pour Skyy vodka and hand it to Bradshaw. It didn't dawn on me until much later - tonight in fact, on my bus ride home - that i have never in my life had Skyy vodka.

To be sure, the bottle design is winner. Very retro and simple, the minimalist sky-blue bottle exudes confident elegance, which should not be surprising since it's a relatively recent creation (in the 90's). But what's much more surprising, to me at least, is it's an American vodka. California to be precise. Not that i doubt the American taste or capacity or anything (ok, i do), but i have the impression that most of the hard liqueurs we consume are all imports. And Americans are better known for their beers. Anyways, maybe i should give it a try next chance i get...which is not happening anytime soon, since heavy taxes are imposed upon luxury items like automobiles, beauty products, perfumes, and of course booze and i don't wanna pay extra for something i could get for cheaper elsewhere (but where?). In passing, their website is also very nice. High resolution not required but earnestly recommended. 

Speaking of bottle design, this reminds me of one Swedish vodka whose bottle design is also very cool and patriotic - Svedka. Bold blue prints and a tiny Swedish flag. Again, I have yet to find out what it tastes like although I came this close to having a swig. I got a bottle from a liqueur store and left it at sunny's apartment... and last time i checked, it was nowhere to be found. um, hello? anyways, design-wise I still prefer Skyy because 1) its distinct signature blue is pretty stunning and 2) the Svedka bottle in many ways still yells Absolut. That said, I should not discourage myself from tasting them the next chance I get. I know you can't go wrong with Absolut or Smirnoff, but when it comes to sensory perception, some things are worth exploring. 

What about Greygoose? Meh…don’t know lah because I don’t take shots (weak I know). Supposed to be one of the best, I hear? I don’t know what the best vodka tastes like, but I’m sure as hell I’ve tasted one of the worst. Ohmygod I don’t even want to bother to recall the name. maybe I’ll google “cheap vodka” later or something. The taste is as bad as its garish design (plastic bottles, white plastic cap, gold engravings on some red label, 10 bucks, do the math). We mixed this shit in the drinks we sold at Machado parties. Hahaha owned! ( I think they serve Greygoose at Buxton. surprise?) I think it just tastes like bitter water, period. Other than that, come to think of it vodka is probably my ultimate favourite hard liqueur. I mean rum & coke is alright. Gin & tonic is refreshing and all. But nothing beats good ol’ screwdriver. I heard somewhere (food network?) that you should put a little club soda in it to add to the fuzz. Now I think I’m a little thirsty hmmmm…

1 comment:

psurangk said...

You're a drunk. Svedka was not my friend last time we met. Skyy bottles are pretty though.